[Lofarpwg] TULIPP paper draft for final review

Sobey, Charlotte (S&A, Kensington WA) Charlotte.Sobey at csiro.au
Wed Nov 10 07:05:13 UTC 2021

Hi Aris, Cees, et al.,

Thanks for your emails. And sorry for my slow reply, I’ve been working on all the comments I’ve received, in the hope of submitting the paper tomorrow!

Thank you for reading the TULIPP paper, Aris. You’re more than welcome to become more involved as a co-I in any future TULIPP observing proposals etc., as is anyone else who is interested?

You’re right that the two quantities being compared between imaging and beamformed data are not quite the same, your summary equations are correct. I have added more specific text into the imaging (S2) and pulsar (S3) observations to briefly explain how the fractional linear polarisation measurements were calculated, I realise I hadn’t explicitly included that before. I also expanded the text in S4.4 related to why the fractional linear polarisation in the LoTSS data is much smaller than obtained through the beamformed data for PSR J2227+3038, e.g. the large swing in P.A values across the pulse profile.  I mentioned Karastergiou et al, in prep. in relation to this, but please let me know if there’s more suitable reference(s)?

I will be interested to read your MeerKAT paper, and also happy to provide any input.
I have been thinking (along with others) about a possible related relevant LOFAR project: cross-matching the LoTSS and pulsar catalogues, to obtain the image properties for the known pulsars detected (in I,L, and V,) and comparing this to beamformed data for these pulsars. That will provide valuable information about the percentage of pulsars that are polarised at low frequencies (which will also be dependent on distance, Gl, ISM foreground, etc.); and future candidate identification, e.g. insight into the ‘types’ of pulse profiles that this kind of targeted search might find, or miss, going forward.

Please just let me know if you have any follow-up questions or comments?

Many thanks and best wishes,
Charlotte