[Lofarpwg] LOFAR FRB detection paper

Jason Hessels hessels at astron.nl
Tue Dec 15 18:34:07 UTC 2020

Hey PWG,

For the past couple years we’ve been collaborating with CHIME/FRB on LOFAR follow-up of their repeater discoveries.  After our CHIME/FRB baseband and EVN localisation of FRB 20180916B (“R3”) we started prioritising this source, especially after our identification of a periodicity in its activity.

Using 112hrs of data from a number of LOFAR Cycle and DDT proposals, as well as commissioning data that was publicly released, we have detected 18 bursts in the 110-188 MHz band with LOFAR.  Some of these bursts are clearly visible down to 110 MHz, and so we’ve now also started a coordinated LOFAR and NenuFAR campaign.  Complementing the 18 LOFAR bursts with 55 from CHIME/FRB (17 newly presented) and 5 from uGMRT, we show that the burst activity is delayed towards later frequencies.

See attached paper, which is submitted to ApJL and will soon appear on the arXiv.

Cheers, and feedback welcome,

Jason
(also on behalf of Ziggy, Daniele and Cees)

-----

Dr. Jason W. T. Hessels

Chief Astronomer - ASTRON, Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy
Associate Professor (Universitair Hoofddocent) - University of Amsterdam
Member De Jonge Akademie - dejongeakademie.nl
Mobile Tel: +31 (0)610260062