[Lofarpwg] J0250 polarisation data

Sobey, Charlotte (CASS, Kensington WA) Charlotte.Sobey at csiro.au
Wed Jun 3 14:39:10 UTC 2020

Hi Crispin, Patrick, cc’ing PWG,

Hope this email finds you well.

Here’s a link to a google drive folder with an initial LOFAR core polarisation profile of J0250:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O1IDzYe5hBaSD_7QrXtbrRHAo5DHgA4x
Included is:

  *   J0250+58_L625014_profile-pav.pdf: plot from psrchive pav -STF
     *   These data have NOT been polarisation calibrated, so the Stokes V and PAs from the LOFAR data have opposite signs to the convention
  *   J0250+58_L625014_profile.pdf : my version of the polarisation profile with the correct Stokes V and PA convention
  *   J0250+58_L625014_SAP0_BEAM0.paz.fscr.Tscr.RM.b4.stokesL5.txt : Ascii text file of time- and freq-averaged Stokes data used
  *   profile_plot.ipynb : python notebook used to make my version of the plot using the ascii text file (sorry it’s in python 2, not 3!)
  *   final_J0250+58_5bin.pdf : RM plot shared previously. This RM was installed in the archive file used to make all plots.

Here’s the vap output with the general info about the archive file used:
filename   freq   bw   nchan   nsub   nbin   npol   length   mjd   dm   rm
J0250+58_L625014_SAP0_BEAM0.paz.fscr.Tscr.RM.b4   148.926   78.125   400   1   16384   4   3588.753   58054.977333   45.280998   54.649

I cc’d the PWG list because Caterina, Aris, at al., may be able to give you some guidance regarding the latest polarisation calibration for the beamformed data, and if it’s advised to apply it to this data. The instrumental polarisation doesn’t look too bad from the Faraday spectrum to me, but they may have more comments about this.

Please just let me know if you have any problems accessing the folder or have any questions.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Charlotte
--
Dr Charlotte Sobey