[Lofarpwg] LBA census paper, submitting tomorrow

Sobey, Charlotte (CASS, Kensington WA) Charlotte.Sobey at csiro.au
Tue Sep 3 07:21:36 UTC 2019

Hi Anya,

Thanks for your email.

Well done for the quick turn-around of the paper!

Just a couple of additional minor comments/questions and my affiliation below.

Good luck with the submission!

Many thanks and best wishes,
Charlotte
--
Affiliation:
- I only have the CSIRO affiliation now (#10), so #9 (ICRAR-Curtin) can be removed, thanks.

Abstract:
- We re-calculate the spectral indices obtained within the LOFAR census using the new information about low-frequency flux densities -> We re-calculate the spectral indices using the new low-frequency flux density measurements from the LOFAR census
{Is it worth also adding a sentence that most pulsars' spectral indices in this work favour a power law with a single break at median frequency 155 MHz? If not in the abstract, perhaps in the results or discussion?}

Results/discussion:
- Just wondering if/how the uncertainty in the flux measurements, including due to scintillation, affect the (presence of a) spectral break frequency and uncertainty? In the plots in Fig C.1 it seems like the effect of scintillation can be seen in several of the pulsars with many flux density measurements from different epochs, but the overall spectral fits are not greatly affected  e.g. 0809, 0823, 1133, etc.
- In addition, is it worth mentioning some of the emission mode-changers in the set, e.g. 0823 and 0943 (and relevant references!)? It seems that they were observed in the bright emission mode here, but that may not have been the case in the past. E.g. 0823 has literature upper limits between HBA and LBA frequencies, which is quite surprising based on how bright this pulsar is. Do you know the reference for these flux density upper limits and whether observing during the quiet-mode is responsible for this?