[Lofarpwg] LOFAR LBA census draft -- ready for commenting

Joeri van Leeuwen leeuwen at astron.nl
Mon Aug 19 15:14:16 UTC 2019

Hi Anya, all,

Thanks for sending this! Some first comments:

*) When an average astronomer reads
  "Overall, the fraction of band that has been deleted due to
dropped packages or RFIs is quite substantial (Fig. 3), ranging
from few percent to almost the entire band. Deleted fraction
varies considerably from beam to beam and is present in most
observing runs, not showing a clear dependence on the observing
date."

They may wonder -- why not re-do it? So right there I would mention why
this data is still interesting. Maybe add:
  "
While the data used here may not use LOFAR to its full capabilities,
and future and ongoing low-frequency observations (cf. $5.2) may reach
higher signal-to-noise,
the results we present here are still the most sensitive obtained to date.
"

*) It's not clear to me why is $3.2 is where it is. Is that pulsar so
special? There are many other non detections. Perhaps give it some intro
or move to "results" section.

*) I think the results section could be stronger if we derive some
conclusions from the Fig. C plots. It seems to me that for all pulsars
that previously had no 100 MHz flux, this flux is
  1) below a single PL
  2) to far below that is requires a multiple PL.
I.e., evidence for a turn over around X MHz (~200?)
Perhaps you can create an "ensemble" spectrum that makes this
statistically stronger?
Because on a per pulsar basis the evidence is reasonably strong but not
solid (as you write) while as a group this is clearly the behaviour.

Some, other, smaller, points:

*) "The last decade faced"
   "faced" to me suggests a hurdle, not a boon.
->
"The last decade brought"

Very nice work, this is clearly a very large data undertaking.

Cheers,
Joeri

==